The Lowdown on Teeth Whitening Strips Safety
Your smile is the first thing that people notice about you. The first impressions you make largely depend on that grin on your face. Now, how can you make sure that that smile never loses its shine?
One of the most popular teeth-whitening products today are the teeth whitening strips. They provide a convenient way to achieve a sweet and brighter smile to help you leave a long-lasting good impression.
Although whitening strips are a go-to choice for many, there are some things you need to know before jumping into using them. So let’s discuss the basics of teeth whitening strips safety, the ingredients involved, and the best practices to get the best results.
What Are Teeth Whitening Strips?
Convenience is one of our top priorities nowadays. So when it comes to fighting teeth stains, you can definitely count on teeth whitening strips. But what are they?
Teeth whitening strips are thin and flexible strips coated with a peroxide-based whitening gel. These strips are applied for a certain period of time (usually 10 to 30 mins) letting the gel work its magic of breaking down the stains and discoloration on the teeth.
This type of teeth whitening product is available over-the-counter and is generally considered to be a safe and effective way to whiten teeth, but make sure that you follow the instructions carefully and use the strips as directed to minimize any potential risks.
Reasons To Use Teeth Whitening Strips
Besides being a popular choice, here are a few reasons why you should consider using teeth whitening strips:
- Inexpensive: Unlike other whitening products or treatments, whitening strips are not that pricey. In fact, you can score a set of 28 strips for as low as $25!
- Effective: Whitening strips contain a bleaching agent (usually hydrogen peroxide) that helps to break down the stains in your teeth that will eventually light up.
- Safe: For most people, whitening strips are safe as long as you follow the instructions carefully and monitor any signs of irritation. If you experience any discomfort, discontinue use immediately and seek your dentist.
- Convenient: All you need to do is apply the strips to your teeth for the specified amount of time, remove them, and voila! Hello, whiter teeth!
If you’re looking for premium teeth whitening strips that can bring you results in just 30 minutes, check out Zimba Strips and choose from the different flavors we have. There’s Mint, Peppermint, Wintergreen, Peach, Strawberry, Watermelon, and more!
Understanding The Ingredients In Teeth Whitening Strips
To fully appreciate the result, you must understand the ingredients contained in every whitening strip.
Teeth whitening strips typically contain a bleaching agent that is either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizing agent that breaks down organic matter, while carbamide peroxide is a weaker version that is more commonly used in typical teeth-whitening products.
Every whitening strip also has glycerin, which acts as a humectant to keep the strips moist, and sodium hydroxide, which helps neutralize the acidity of the hydrogen peroxide. Abrasives are there to help remove surface stains, surfactants are present to help the active ingredients penetrate the enamel, and preservatives are added to help keep the strips from deteriorating, overall improving the product's effectiveness and safety.
You can’t maximize the benefits of teeth whitening strips if you don’t use them properly. So before anything else, read the label carefully and see if it’s suitable for your needs.
Measures To Minimize Risk With Teeth Whitening Strips
Just like any whitening product, the use of teeth whitening strips has its own potential risks. Fortunately, you can prevent these possible hazards from happening if you strictly follow these safety tips:
Read The Instructions Carefully
First things first, read the instructions carefully. Different types of strips have different sets of instructions. For example, some strips may need to be used for a longer period of time than others, or may contain different active ingredients. Take note of the important details such as proper storage and disposal to ensure that the strips remain effective and safe for use. Lastly, watch out for the expiration date.
Follow the Manufacturer’s Guidelines And Use As Directed
Reading the instructions is one thing, following them is another. Directions, including the length of time the strips should be worn and the number of times they should be used must be strictly followed to avoid overuse of the strips that might cause any discomfort.
Monitor For Irritation
Check the ingredients list to ensure that you are not allergic to any of the components. If you experience any discomfort or sensitivity, immediately discontinue use and speak with your dentist.
While whitening strips are safe when used as directed, overusing them can lead to increased sensitivity, gum irritation, and other undesirable side effects.
Most whitening strips come with a specified number of applications, so stick to these figures. Some manufacturers recommend using strips once a day while others only suggest once every two weeks.
Discontinue If Discomfort Occurs
Whitening strips are not for everyone. If you suffer from any dental issues, such as gum disease, cavities, or enamel erosion, consult with your dentist first before using any teeth-whitening products.
Another important reminder is that teeth whitening strips contain ingredients that can be potentially harmful to pregnant or nursing women, so it is advisable to avoid using these strips if you have a newborn baby or just expecting.
Check The Expiration Date
When using teeth whitening strips, it is important to always check the expiration date before proceeding. Teeth whitening strips are formulated with active ingredients that can become less effective over time.
Using expired strips can increase the risk of irritation and side effects, so it is important to make sure that the strips you are using are up to date.
Wear Protective Eyewear
The ingredients in the strips can cause irritation and damage to your eyes if they come into contact with them. Protective eyewear can help prevent this from happening, but you still need to keep the strips away from your eyes when applying them to your teeth.
Best Practices For Using Teeth Whitening Strips
In everything you do, safety should always come first. To make sure you’re taking the best possible care of your teeth and gums, here are certain best practices to follow:
- Different brands may have slightly different instructions, so be sure to read the instructions and use the strips as directed.
- Most brands recommend no more than twice a day, and no longer than 14 days in a row. Strictly follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for usage and avoid overusing the strips.
- Be aware of the potential side effects of teeth whitening strips which may include increased sensitivity, gum irritation, and gum recession.
- If you experience discomfort or any of the above-mentioned side effects, discontinue use right away and consult your dentist.
Best results come from best practices. Get your silver-white teeth ready with our premium teeth whitening strips! Shop other teeth-whitening products here.
How To Choose The Right Teeth Whitening Strips For You
With so many options in the market today, choosing the right whitening strips is going to be tough. But don’t worry, there are key factors you can consider to help narrow down your choices and get the best for your needs.
- Look at the ingredients: The most common active ingredients in whitening strips are hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful bleaching agent that can quickly whiten your teeth, but it can also be harsh on your enamel if used too often. While carbamide peroxide is a gentler alternative that takes a bit longer to whiten your teeth but is less likely to cause damage.
- Preferred type of strips: Some whitening strips are designed to be applied directly to your teeth, while others come in a tray that fits over your teeth. Both types can be effective in whitening your teeth, but the tray-style strips tend to be more comfortable and easier to use.
- Consider the strength of the strips: Whitening strips come in a variety of strengths, from mild to strong. If you’re new to teeth whitening, you’ll want to start with a milder strength and work your way up to stronger ones to help you and your teeth adjust to the varying strengths of the strips.
Take extra time to research your short-listed whitening strips and pay attention to these factors so you can get the best out of the whitening strips world.
Haven’t decided yet? You might find what you’re looking for here at Zumba, home of the best teeth-whitening products. We have flavored whitening strips, bundles, and kits that will leave you with a brighter, better-looking smile.
Get Your Pearly Whites Now And Order Your Teeth Whitening Strips Today!
Your smile can mean the world to someone but tooth stains may dull its impact. Don’t worry, teeth whitening strips can come to the rescue! These strips are designed to remove surface stains and discoloration, leaving you with a brighter, more confident smile. It’s a quick, convenient, and affordable teeth-whitening remedy that you’ll surely love!
Why wait if you can order today? Shop the highest-quality whitening strips here.
If you’re experiencing teeth discoloration, one of the best whitening products out there is the teeth whitening strips. Without the need for expensive professional treatments, you can achieve a sweet, radiant smile in no time.
While using these strips, make yourself aware of the potential risks associated with using them, as well as the best practices. By understanding the ingredients, following manufacturer guidelines, avoiding overuse, and choosing the right strips for you, you can safely and effectively reap the benefits of whitening strips.
Above all, practicing good oral hygiene with the aid of teeth whitening guarantees better results and can even help you turn your dream pearly whites into reality.
Let’s start your teeth-whitening journey today! Order your favorite whitening products from Zimba.
Want to know more about teeth-whitening products and treatments? Check out our latest blogs:
- Meet the Teeth Whitening Product for Sensitive Teeth
- Crest Whitestrips: Why Zimba Is A Better Option
- How To Maintain Your Pearly Whites Between Whitening Treatments
Do whitening strips cause long-term damage?
No, whitening strips do not typically cause long-term damage to your teeth. However, it is important to follow all instructions on the product label and use the strips as directed. Overuse or misuse of whitening strips can cause damage to the enamel of your teeth, which can lead to increased sensitivity, cavities, and other oral health problems.
What ingredients in whitening strips are harmful?
The active ingredients in whitening strips are typically either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, both of which are safe for use on the teeth.
How can I whiten my teeth safely?
The safest way to whiten your teeth is to use a product specifically designed for teeth whitening. Whitening strips, gels, and toothpaste are all safe and effective ways to whiten your teeth but make sure to follow the instructions and use the product as directed.
Are teeth whitening kits safe?
Yes, teeth whitening kits are generally safe when used as directed.
Are teeth whitening strips FDA-approved?
Yes, most teeth whitening strips are approved by the FDA. Regardless, read the product label and follow the instructions carefully.
Is hydrogen peroxide safe for teeth?
Yes, hydrogen peroxide is generally safe for use on the teeth but in the right and moderate concentrations.